Monday, April 8, 2013

"A Person's a Person.... No Matter How Small!"

At the end of March 2013, right before our Spring Break, my co-worker came up with the idea to read "Horton Hears a Who" with our 2nd Grade students. We would then have the students compare the book to the "Horton Hears a Who" movie that was produced in 2008 starring Jim Carey and Steve Carell.   This was approved by our administration! 
Our students used a Venn Diagram to compare the book to the movie. I also decided to create questions that accompany the movie, so that my students would be actively engaged. The moral of the movie and book is amazing! My students responded to a writing prompt after reading the book. They wrote their response on lined paper, and colored a picture of Horton for this bulletin board display.
To make listening to the story more creative, I found an amazing YouTube video where someone reads the book in a children friendly format.


To show the connection to the Common Core standard, I type or neatly hand write the specific Common Core standard and what is says, so that viewers will understand what concept my students practiced.


No comments:

Post a Comment